ALUMNI PROFILE: Annika Molenaar


Today, we sat down with our PhD candidate, Annika Molenaar. Annika wants to better understand food security including communication and advocacy efforts to address food insecurity. Her research explores what people are saying on social media about food security, how this changes across time and how people are advocating for change, in the hopes to inform future communication and advocacy efforts in the area. 

Annika’s PhD will involve a novel multidisciplinary approach exploring the potential to use computer science and communications skills in the area of food security.

“Take every opportunity you have to work on research, whether that be through assignments or opportunities outside the curriculum. This will hopefully allow you to explore different areas of nutrition to figure out your areas of interest in research and to talk to others who are themselves working in research on their journey to where they are.” 

1. What do you love most about researching?

I really enjoy research as it is a job where you are constantly learning and evolving. I have been able to explore different areas of nutrition during my time as a research officer which has kept my work interesting as well as widened my skill set. I have really enjoyed working in multidisciplinary research teams which has further expanded my knowledge and allowed me to gain an insight into how other disciplines work, how we can best work together and complement each other’s skill sets. I also love the opportunities to enhance your communication skills throughout research, with opportunities such as conferences and importantly, through teaching. I have really enjoyed being able to teach as part of my role as a researcher, which allows me to apply and enhance my skills and support students. Working in research has really allowed me to explore, be curious and gain skills that are transferable to many other areas. 


2. How did you get to where you are today? Was there a pivotal decision or occurrence?

During my final year in the Nutrition Science course, I was involved in a research unit. This was something I really enjoyed, getting to run a research study, and developing more independent problem solving and research skills. I had considered doing Honours previously but wasn’t sure and I think this 3rd year experience opened my eyes a bit more to what research was about which led me to pursue doing my Honours. After completion of my Honours year and enjoying seeing a research project of my own from start to finish, I had the opportunity to continue working in research on a project similar to that of my Honours thesis. I continued working on a range of different Government and food industry funded research projects across a five-year period and really enjoyed the diversity of the knowledge and skills I was able to gain. Doing a PhD was always in the back of my mind throughout my research work, however I continued on as a research officer due to the different opportunities that I had throughout. I decided to finally take the plunge after finding a project that I thought would allow me to explore an area I was interested in from a new perspective and gather valuable skills in a new discipline through multidisciplinary research. 


3. How has Monash University supported you throughout your research journey?

I have been with Monash for many years from an undergraduate student to an employee and now as a PhD candidate. I have felt that those involved in the Department of Nutrition, Dietetics and Food here at Monash have always been welcoming and supportive and have provided me with the skills and resources needed to pursue a career in research. Being able to continue working at Monash after the completion of my undergraduate degree with the support of Monash University has been a great opportunity. 


4. What is your biggest piece of advice for those looking to pursue a research career in Nutrition and Dietetics, or those who are early in their research careers?

I would say my biggest piece of advice for pursuing a career in research is to take every opportunity you have to work on research, whether that be through assignments or opportunities outside the curriculum. This will hopefully allow you to explore different areas of nutrition to figure out your areas of interest in research and to talk to others who are themselves working in research on their journey to where they are.  


Interested in studying with us?
We offer the Bachelor of Nutrition Science, Bachelor of Nutrition (Honours), Master of Dietetics and PhD opportunities. 


Find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
@monashnutrition
@AnnikaMolenaar

Popular Posts

Monash Nutrition Twitter