Melbourne to Adelaide: Monash Nutrition supporting Students in Clinical Nutrition Research and Beyond.

Today we sat down with two of our recent dietetics graduates Ellen Weijue Kang and Sophia Ching Wun Lam. Ellen and Sophia successfully completed our Master of Dietetic program in 2022 including a research unit (NUT5006). 


In this research unit, both students undertook a hospital based research project. The students were supported by Lecturer Dr Lisa Barker to solve key dietetics practice issues at Eastern Health and Peninsula Health. Both graduates undertook their initial training in research and were also provided opportunities in research from our Bachelor of Nutrition Science program.


Upon the completion of their research unit, the students were encouraged to submit their work to the Dietitian Australia (DA) Conference in Adelaide. Once the students were accepted to present oral presentations at the conference, the Department of Nutrition, Dietetics and Food was proud to sponsor and support Ellen and Sophia to attend the conference and showcase their high quality research to other nutrition professionals. 


We are also proud to have Sophia Lam be recognised at the DA conference for her high quality research presentation across a number of categories. Sophia Lam was awarded the New Conference Presenter and New Researcher Award at the DA conference.


What were your research topics? 


Ellen: The impact of diarrhoea diagnosis on enteral nutrition delivery in ICU. This retrospective audit was conducted with, our placement partner, Eastern Health as my research project in NUT5006. The result of this audit highlighted the amount of EN cessation and reduction in ICU without dietitian involvement. These results can be used to advocate for an ICU bowel protocol at Eastern Health in the future. 


Sophia: My research was a retrospective audit where we aimed to explore the relationship between nutritional intake and the development of negative clinical health outcomes after pateints leave the intensive care unit (ICU). The topic was part of the NUT5006 unit. 


Nutrition is important in recovery, especially after prolonged ICU stays. Despite emerging evidence of ICU survivors experiencing nutritional deficits, weight loss, and malnutrition, limited published data examines the association of nutritional intake in the post ICU period on health outcomes. 


The importance of this research is to ensure adequate protocols for patients leaving ICU to ensure adequate nutritional intake. Thus, this research can contribute to the current evidence in enhancing this population’s nutritional intake and health outcomes.


How has Monash University and our placement partners supported you during your research journey?


Ellen: My supervisors Lisa, Claire and Lina helped me a lot throughout this research project. All of them supported me to feel more prepared for the DA presentation and my research topic. They not only helped me to understand the background of this research better, but also guided me through research writing methods. Monash also gave me the opportunity to practise my presentation script before attending the DA conference. I would like to thank all the opportunities that Monash provided me.

Sophia: Monash University and the placement partners have provided me lots of support, such as having a supportive supervisor in guiding me through the research journey. Not only did they provide ongoing check-ins (e.g. meetings/ emails) to ensure I am on the right track, but also gave constructive and timely feedback. Monash University also sponsored m trip to Adelaide for the conference. Overall, the whole team (supervisor and 3 placement partners) worked collaboratively and effectively together.


What did you love most about participating in clinical nutrition research? 

Ellen: Researching allows me to make sense of the data. Selecting the best way to present my data to be able to make sense of it for audiences and other researchers is the part I enjoyed the most. I also feel lucky to be able to share my findings with other researchers in the field. 


Sophia: What I love the most about researching is analysing and explaining my findings. Any dataset can tell you a story if you look for any pattern. It is exceptionally rewarding to see whether the data has shown any clinically or statistically significant findings in answering my research question. Since I can be creative in using my own way to address or analyse the dataset, it is quite motivating for me to explore any previous published studies in backing up my findings. If there are none, I may be able to propose something new. The ability to use my knowledge in addressing certain issues is undeniably the most rewarding part of doing such research. And of course, it is an honour to present at a DA conference, I loved to show my passion to fellow dietitians and researchers, and telling them there are still issues that require investigation.



What were your highlights from attending the DA conference? 

Ellen: I feel more connected with the professors from Monash and other experienced dietitians across Australia through this experience. I was never an outgoing person, however,presenting at DA 2022 also challenged me to step out of my comfort zone, which will help me to grow my confidence in public speaking.


Sophia: The highlights would be the opportunity to network with different people. Although it is a bit daunting to meet new people, I was able to speak with people that are working in the public health sector (the Department of Health), universities, public/private hospitals, food industry, and private clinics, and gained knowledge on the possible career journey that I can take. I was able to make contact with a dietitian who also works as a private practice dietitian in Melbourne. She was happy to be my mentor. Through hearing different dietitians’ career journeys, I am positive with the upcoming future ahead of me.



Being amongst dietitians from various fields of dietetics would have given you a glimpse into different career paths. Do you have any fields of dietetics that you are interested in? 

Ellen: I have talked with a few dietitians working in non-for-profit organisations, which is a new path for me to consider. I am interested in the aged care setting because I think dietitians can do more with residents from my previous experience. However, I am also flexible with my career path, and I am happy to be able to apply my knowledge to anyone or anywhere needed. Sophia: I am interested in working as a clinical dietitian, particularly in ICU and oncology. I am still considering whether to undertake a PhD degree in the later future. However, I am also open to working in food industry and being a private practice dietitian.



Interested in studying with us?

We offer the Bachelor of Nutrition Science, Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Honours) - Nutrition Discipline, Master of Nutrition and Dietetics and PhD opportunities.


Find us on Twitter 

@MonashNutrition

Monash Nutrition Twitter