Alumni Profile: Eva Jenkins


We sat down with Eva Jenkins, our PhD candidate at the Department of Nutrition, Dietetics and Food, Monash University. Eva's PhD journey began in 2020 and her research investigates consumer food waste and social media communication.


"I would say just give it a go and take that leap! Research is exciting, challenging, and super rewarding."

1. What do you love most about researching?

I have always loved reading and writing, and I enjoy investigating different research problems and discovering new and interesting findings. I love feeling that my work could contribute to creating a more sustainable society in the future. 

I also love the flexibility of research; I have always preferred to work earlier in the day rather than the typical 9-5 (although this isn’t the case for everyone) and I love that I can mostly work at the times I am most productive. I have also been lucky enough to be able to do most of my research from home throughout the COVID-19 lockdowns.


2. How did you get to where you are today? Was there a pivotal decision or occurrence?

At the end of my undergraduate degree, I wasn’t sure what to do next. I knew that I didn’t want to be a clinical dietitian, so was looking for other options. I had a look at the Honours handbook and saw an interesting project about social media influencers, and thought it would be a great opportunity since I had seen the impact of social media influencers spreading misinformation within my own friendship groups. Undertaking the Honours course led me to be offered some research assistant work in the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, which then led to starting my PhD. So, I would say the pivotal decision was deciding to do Honours and taking that first leap into research!


3. How has Monash University supported you throughout your research journey?

The Department of Nutrition and Dietetics is a really supportive environment and I have learnt so much through undertaking the Honours course and now my PhD. Monash University has a lot of great resources for both undergraduate and postgraduate students and there are many opportunities to further your career along the way.


4. What is your biggest piece of advice for those looking to pursue a research career in Nutrition and Dietetics, or those who are early in their research careers?

I would say just give it a go and take that leap! Research is exciting, challenging, and super rewarding.


Interested in pursuing a PhD in nutrition, dietetics and food? Join the team and be at the forefront of exciting developments in global nutrition research. Learn more about our exciting new projects available.


Find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

@monashnutrition

@Eva_Jenkins_

Monash Nutrition Twitter