Alumni Profile: Amy Knight


 
 
Amy Knight has always been passionate about food and nutrition. “As a teenager I would borrow nutrition textbooks from the library to read for fun!”

Despite not getting the marks to enter a nutrition course straight from school, Amy made her dream career a reality via an alternative route. “I switched to my plan B and studied Science at Monash first before starting Nutrition and Dietetics. I had such a fantastic experience and loved Monash, so I didn’t want to leave!”

Reflecting on her studies, Amy says this course gave her everything she needed, and more, to forge a satisfying career in her chosen field.

“The teaching of nutrition theory and practical skills required to be a dietitian was, of course, an amazing foundation for my career.
However, I think it is the broader professional skills Monash teaches that have helped shape my career so far. We were taught to be flexible and adaptable, and problem solve, which is essential not only in any dietetic job you have, but also as you navigate the competitive job hunt after graduation.”

Amy is now busy combining three different roles with the dietetics profession. “I work part-time for Aussie Farmers Direct, where I spend my days developing recipes, looking at nutrition trends, and creating nutrition information panels. We also taste test recipes – a very important part of my job!  I also work at an allied health clinic and write on my nutrition blog, The Nutrition Table. It makes for a very varied week!”

Monash Nutrition Twitter